Vegetable Biryani from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Cook Time:
- Serves: 4
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- ¼ cup lowfat milk
- Lowfat cooking spray
- ½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup cauliflower flowerets, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup green beans, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 cups water
- Place Basmati rice in a large bowl then cover with water and soak for 30 minutes then drain.
- In a small bowl, combine saffron and milk and set aside.
- Spray a large saucepan with lowfat cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat.
- Add cumin seeds and cloves and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chopped vegetables and stirfry for 4–5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stirfry for 1 minute.
- Stir in the water and garam masala.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Drizzle with the saffron milk then serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.