- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 cup lowfat milk
- Lowfat cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup cauliflower flowerets, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup green beans, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 cups water
1.Place Basmati rice in a large bowl then cover with water and soak for 30 minutes then drain.
2.In a small bowl, combine saffron and milk and set aside.
3.Spray a large saucepan with lowfat cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat.
4.Add cumin seeds and cloves and sauté for 1 minute.
5.Stir in the chopped vegetables and stirfry for 4-5 minutes.
6.Add the rice and stirfry for 1 minute.
7.Stir in the water and garam masala.
8.Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
9.Drizzle with the saffron milk then serve.
- Vegetable Biryani from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health -- original source of recipe, public domain government resource