Contributed by Indiancuisineandculture Y-Group
- Serves 4
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 2 large potatoes (¾ inch cubes)
- 3 medium sized carrots (¾ inch cubes)
- 5 – 6 French beans (¾ inch pieces)
- ¼ small sized cauliflower (small florets)
- salt to taste
- 4 – 5 strands saffron
- 2 tbsp milk
- 4 large onions (finely sliced)
- oil to deep fry
- ½ cup yogurt
- 3 tbsp biryani masala powder
- 1½ tsps ginger paste
- 1½ tsps garlic paste
- 4 tbsp pure ghee
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- 5 cashew nuts (quartered)
- 10 almonds (blanched and halved)
- 2 tbsp raisins (kishmish)
- dough to seal
- Pick, wash and soak rice in three cups of water for half an hour. Drain.
- Add four cups of water and salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook till the rice is three fourth done. Drain excess water and spread out on a plate to cool.
- Parboil potatoes, carrots, french beans and cauliflower in two cups of salted water. Drain and keep aside.
- Dissolve saffron in warm milk.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep-fry sliced onions till golden brown. Drain onto an absorbent paper.
- Beat yogurt.
- Add two tablespoons of biryani masala, half of the fried onions, ginger paste and garlic paste and parboiled vegetables.
- Allow to marinate for one hour.
- Heat ghee in a thick-bottomed vessel, add the marinated vegetables and sauté for two to three minutes.
- Add three-fourth cup of water and bring to a boil, then simmer for two to three minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Transfer the vegetables into a thick bottomed handi.
- Layer the rice over the cooked vegetables.
- Sprinkle the remaining biryani masala, mint leaves, coriander leaves and the remaining fried onions.
- Garnish with cashew nuts, almonds and raisins.
- Sprinkle saffron milk.
- Place a moist cloth on top, cover with a lid and seal with dough.
- Put the sealed handi in the pre-heated oven and cook at 180°C for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Alternately keep the handi on a heated tawa and cook on very low heat for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.