by user Elocina
- 1 large leek, white and tender green parts only, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
- One 14 ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- One 14 ounce can quartered artichoke hearts (in water), drained
- 1/2 lb. Swiss chard, stems discarded, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Brush the leek with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil and place cut side down on one side of a non-stick baking sheet. On the other side of the baking sheet, add squash and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and gently toss to coat. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Slice the leek halves into 1-inch lengths.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 16" paella pan or skillet and sauté onion over medium heat until softened. Add saffron and cayenne pepper and stir for 1 minute. Add the rice and season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring for about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock, wine, squash, tomatoes, artichoke hearts and Swiss chard, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Lower oven temperature to 350° then transfer paella pan to oven and bake for 30 minutes or until rice is tender and stock is absorbed. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Vegetable Paella from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health -- original source of recipe, public domain goverment resource