- 4 artichokes
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 large red onion, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large carrot, cut into ½-inch slices
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 dried whole hot chilies
- 8 saffron threads or 2 pinches powdered saffron
- Snap off and discard tough outer leaves from base of artichokes and trim stems.
- Cut off and discard top two-thirds of each artichoke; quarter heart and remove fuzzy choke inside.
- As each artichoke heart is prepared, immediately place quarters into a bowl of water with juice from lemon to prevent hearts from discoloring.
- Set aside until ready to add to rice.
- Heat olive oil over medium fire in a large heavy pot or dutch oven.
- Add rice to oil; cook, stirring constantly, until rice turns opaque.
- Add drained artichoke hearts to rice, then all remaining ingredients.
- Stir to mix, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Let cook without stirring or uncovering for 20-25 minutes, until water is absorbed completely.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.