Vegetable Rice Pilaf from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 1 x 14½ oz can of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup dry lentils, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1½ cups zucchini and/or yellow summer squash
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- ½ small eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, shredded
- In a medium saucepan, combine broth, onion, lentils, rice, water and lemon zest. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Add zucchini and/or squash and carrot and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, cook eggplant and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until eggplant is soft (about 8–10 minutes.)
- Remove lentil mixture from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in eggplant mixture, tomatoes and basil.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese as desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.