- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 6 cups sweet potatoes (not yams), peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, undrained
- 2 (14 1.2 ounce) or 1 (32 ounce) cans low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced or crushed tomatoes, undrained
1.Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan and sauté onions until they start to brown.
2.Stir in the rest of the ingredients then raise heat to bring to a boil.
3.Reduce heat to low then cover and let simmer for 45 minutes or until sweet potatoes are softened.
- Vegetarian West African Soup from the Public Health Cookbook, Seattle & King County Department of Public Health -- original source of recipe, government resource in the public domain