- 3 egg whites
- 1 C. fresh strawberries washed
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 C. fresh blueberries, washed
- Sweetened whipped cream
- 1 C. fresh blackberries, washed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 C. sifted granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1.Beat egg whites at high speed of an electric mixer until foamy.
2.Sprinkle cream of tartar, salt and vanilla over egg whites. Beat until soft peaks form.
3.Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form.
4.Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; drop meringue mixture by rounded 1/2 cupfuls onto baking sheet. Working quickly, smooth meringue center by pushing excess up to edges.
5.Bake at 225 degrees F. for 1 hour.
6.Turn oven off, leaving meringues in oven for 8 hours to cool.
7.Combine fruit and spoon 1/2 cup fruit into each shell. Top with dollops of whipped cream. Serve immediately.
- Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource -- original source of recipe