Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Makes 25 servings
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1½ cups ( 354 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 g) date sugar
- 4 tablespoons (50 g) margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ( 5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cloves
- 2 cups (280 g) unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C / gas mark 4.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch (22.5 cm) square baking pan with cooking spray in a heavy saucepan, simmer the water and date sugar for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine margarine, spices, and cooled date sugar mixture.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and egg.
- Mix until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 – 35 minutes or until gingerbread pulls away and springs back when touched.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer cake to wire rack to continue cooling.
- Cut into 25 squares.
Nutrition information Edit
- 84 calories (21% calories from fat) | 2g protein | 2g total fat (0.8g saturated fat) | 16g carbohydrate | trace dietary fiber | 9mg cholesterol | 71mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (bread/starch)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.