Prep Time: ½ hour while beans cook
Cook time: 2 hours
This soup is a winter staple in our home. It is full of flavor and warmth you through and through.
- ¾ lb dried white beans
- 8½ cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch saffron threads
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ lb Spanish chorizo sausage cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- ¾ lb kale, stemmed and chopped coarsely
- fresh ground black pepper
- sherry vinegar to taste
- Place the beans in a large pot pour in 8 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add bay leaf and pinch of salt.
- Cook partially covered, stirring often and adjusting heat to keep it at a slow steady simmer until the beans are tender. Approximately 2 hours.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Soak the saffron in the remaining ½ cup chicken stock.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chorizo and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned. About 5 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion and cook until softened; add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in red pepper and paprika, cook 2 minutes.
- Transfer the contents to the pot with beans.
- Stir in saffron with the cooking liquid, the chorizo and kale.
- Bring back to simmer and cook just until the kale is wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir in the vinegar.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.