- 2 packages dry yeast
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup lard or shortening
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 tsp salt
- 11 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and 1 tsp sugar.
- Combine salt, shortening, ½ cup sugar, water and yeast mixture well in large mixing bowl.
- Add 5 cups flour and beat with electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Stir in 6 cups flour by hand.
- Turn onto floured board and knead 5 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once, cover and let rise ½ hour.
- Punch down, turn over and let rise again until double.
- Knead a few minutes, then shape into 4 loaves and place in greased 9"x5" loaf pans.
- Cover loaves with damp cloth and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Brush tops with margarine if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.