by user Elocina
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons crushed dried sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons egg mix + ¼ cup water (or 1 egg)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted shortening
1.Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a bread pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2.Dissolve yeast in ¼ cup warm water.
3.Combine sugar, sage, salt, baking soda, and flour.
4.Beat egg and cottage cheese together until smooth. Add melted shortening and yeast.
5.Add flour mixture slowly to egg mixture, beating well after each addition until a stiff dough is formed.
6.Cover dough with cloth and put in warm place until double in bulk (about 1 hour). Punch dough down, knead for one minute, and place in well-greased pan. Cover and let rise for 40 minutes.
7.Bake for 50 minutes. Brush top with melted shortening.
8.Optional: Sprinkle with crushed, roasted pine nuts or coarse salt.
- A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource -- original source of recipe