Thanks to its high oil content, wild salmon—the star of this delicious spread—boasts a rich, creamy flavor and numerous health benefits. If wild salmon is unavailable, you can substitute farm-raised salmon.
- ¼ pound skinless wild salmon fillet
- ½ cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 ounces smoked salmon
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 24 slices seedless cucumber, ¼ inch thick
- In a small saucepan, combine the wild salmon and water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until salmon is opaque throughout, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate, and let stand until cool.
- In a food processor, combine butter and smoked salmon; process until smooth.
- Flake wild salmon in a large bowl.
- Add the smoked salmon mixture, lemon peel, lemon juice, dill, chives and pepper.
- Stir well to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a small bowl or two small ramekins.
- Cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove rillettes from refrigerator 1 hour before serving to soften.
- Serve spread with cucumber slices.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.