Serves 3 to 4.
- 1 cup winter melon (½ pound)
- water to boil winter melon
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 Chinese dried black mushrooms
- 2 - 3 slices ginger
- ¼ cup cooked ham, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 green onion, green part only, washed and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- Wash the winter melon, remove the green skin, seeds, and the pulp. Cut into 2-inch pieces. Place the winter melon in a pot of water, bring to a boil, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until the winter melon is tender.
- Add the chicken broth, mushrooms, ginger and cooked ham. Add seasonings as desired. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Add green onion for garnish. Serve hot.
- Purchase a whole winter melon (about 8 - 10 pounds), cut off the top, remove the seeds and pulp, place the other ingredients inside and steam for 1 – 2 hours. This makes for a fancier looking dish.
- Add barbecued pork and/or shrimp.
- Try adding other vegetables, such as bamboo shoots, carrots, or silk squash.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.