Because of conventional meal times in Israel (main meal between 12:00 and 2:00 pm; supper at 7:00 pm), many Israelis have coffee or tea with cake between 4:00 and 5:00 pm. It is not considered proper in Israel to offer someone coffee or tea without cake. This is one of the most popular cakes in Israel.
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups sifted cake flour
- ¾ tsp salt
- confectioner's sugar
- Cream shortening and beat in sugar.
- Add one yolk at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift together flour, salt and baking powder and add to batter, alternating with milk.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Grease a 10 inch loaf pan and dust lightly with flour.
- Pour in batter.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool on a cake rack.
- Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.