This root vegetable pie created by the chef at London's Savoy Hotel marked Frederick Marquis, Lord Woolton, the British Minister of Food during World War II's drive to get people to eat more vegetables instead of meat.
- 1 lb of diced potatoes
- 1 lb of diced cauliflower
- 1 lb of diced swedes
- 1 lb of diced carrots
- 3 – 4 spring onions
- 1 tsp vegetable extract
- 1 tsp oatmeal
- water to cover
- 1 pie crust (or mashed potatoes)
- Cook all together for ten minutes with just enough water to cover.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking.
- Allow to cool; put into a pie dish, sprinkle with chopped parsley and cover with a crust of potatoes or wholemeal pastry.
- Bake in a moderate oven until the pastry is nicely brown and serve hot with brown gravy.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.