- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105°-115 °F)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 Tbsp. shortening
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- Mix the yeast in warm water.
- Let stand 5 minutes and stir.
- Pour the boiling water over the shortening, salt, and Sugar and mix well.
- Add 3/4 cup of cold water and cool to lukewarm (about 105°-115 °F).
- Add the yeast.
- Gradually mix in enough flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead until smooth and shiny.
- Put in a greased bowl and turn to grease the top.
- Cover and let rise 1 1/2 hours until the dough doubles.
- Shape the dough into two oblong loaves, about 14 inches long.
- Put them on a greased cookie sheet and let rise 1 hour.
- Brush loaves with the beaten egg whites.
- With a knife make three slashes on each loaf.
- Bake at 425 °F for 30 minutes,then reduce the heat to 350 °F and bake 20 minutes.
- Makes 2 loaves.
Contributed by: Edit
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.