This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Barger Estate in Mckinney, Texas in 1997.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- ½ stick margarine
- ½ cup oil
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 2 fresh jalapenos seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 large carrots diced
- 6 ribs celery diced
- 1 pound boned diced raw chicken
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 3 teaspoons Tabasco
- ½ cup flour
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 4 cans chicken broth
- corn tortillas cut in strips or squares
- Heat margarine and oil in a large kettle then sauté onion, jalapenos,garlic, carrots, celery and chicken then simmer 10 minutes.
- Add and combine cumin, chili powder, salt, lemon pepper, tabasco and flour then stir in tomatoes and chicken stock.
- Simmer one hour then drop tortilla strips into hot oil and fry until crisp and drain.
- Place strips in bottom of soup bowls and spoon in soup.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.