- 1 package rapid rise yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup hot water (120°F to 130ºF)
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
1.Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2.In a large bowl, combine yeast, sugar, and water. Let stand until foamy.
3.Add oil to yeast mixture. Gradually stir in nonfat dry milk, salt, and enough of the flour to make the dough stiff enough to pull away from the edges of the bowl.
4.On floured surface, knead dough 2-4 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Cover dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
5.Roll dough in 12 x 7 inch rectangle. Roll up from narrow end to form loaf and pinch edges to seal.
6.Place loaf in greased 8½ x 4½ inch glass loaf pan and cover.
7.Fill a large shallow pan half full with boiling water on counter top. Place baking sheet over pan of boiling water.
8.Set covered bread dough on baking sheet and let dough rise 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
9.Bake in 375ºF oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
10.Remove loaf from pan and cool on rack. Slice with serrated knife to serve.
- A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource -- original source of recipe