Indians eat rice with many meals. Pay careful attention when preparing this recipe to discover which spice causes the rice to turn yellow.
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium-size onion, diced
- 1 medium-size Russet potato, diced
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1.In a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat oil; add onion and potato. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2.Add water, rice, salt, cumin seeds, and turmeric; over high heat, heat to boiling.
3.Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice and potatoes are tender. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, stir in chickpeas.
- Basmati rice is a special, toasty-flavored Indian rice. Now, it is also grown in the United States. If you don’t find it at the supermarket, use regular,
- Fruits and Veggies Matter Child Recipe Cards by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, public domain government resource -- original source of recipe