From Cooking Light (May 2005)
- hour | 30 minutes prep
- 18 servings
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 (8 ounces) carton non-fat sour cream
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- ½ cup block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 – 2 tablespoon fat-free evaporated milk
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat bottom only of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with wax paper.
- Coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Set aside (if you plan to serve the cake straight from the pan instead of unmolding it, you can skip the wax paper step).
- Stir ½ cup butter and sour cream with a whisk until well blended.
- Add granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla; beat at medium speed 3 minutes or until well blended.
- Add egg substitute; beat 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Stir 2 cups flour, baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt well with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sharply tap pan once on counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- Carefully peel off wax paper; cool completely on wire rack.
- Beat the cream cheese, ¼ cup butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla at high speed until fluffy.
- Add cocoa, milk, and ⅛ teaspoon salt; beat at low speed until well blended.
- Gradually add 1½ cups powdered sugar; beat at low speed until creamy.
- Gradually add remaining 1½ cups powdered sugar.
- Place cake on a serving platter.
- Spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.