- Kik Alicha
- 3 cups water plus 2 tablespoons (divided)
- 1 cup dried yellow split Peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1 inch-long piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- This vegetarian stew is adapted from a recipe from Ethiopian Village. To make the dish spicy, omit the ginger and add in its place 1 tablespoon of berbere Spice Mixture (see accompanying recipe), 2 tablespoons tomato sauce and chopped green chilies to taste.
- Place 3 cups of the water and the Peas in large saucepan. Heat over high heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cook until almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; cook Onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and turmeric; cook 1 minute.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons water; cover. Cook on low heat 3 minutes. Add mixture to cooked Peas; stir in salt. Simmer until Peas are very soft, about 30 minutes. Taste; adjust seasonings.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.