- 2 lb haddock fillets
- salt to taste
- spiced herring or anchovies
- 1 egg
- bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¾ cup cream or milk (up to 1-cup)
- If whole fish is used, remove viscera, head, tail, all bones, and skin.
- Cut into fillets.
- Rinse, dry on paper towels, and sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand a short while.
- On each fillet place a piece of spiced herring or a whole anchovy.
- Roll up and tie with string.
- Dip each roll in slightly beaten egg, then in bread crumbs.
- Place rolls in a buttered dish or pan.
- Dot each roll with butter.
- Brown in a hot oven (425°F).
- When well browned, pour milk or cream over rolls and continue baking in a slow oven (325°F) for 15 minutes or until is done.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.