Description[edit | edit source]
Hot Chili Beef and Onion Soup. This chili-red soup is exceptionally hot. It is said that the time to serve it is in the hottest months, when the perspiration it induces has a cooling effect on the diner. It is equally effective ammunition against winter cold.
- Yield: 12 servings
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 lb braising beef
- 16 cup water
- 3 tbsp hot chili powder
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 24 green onions
- 4 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Cut the beef into cubes and place in a saucepan with the water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1½ to 2 hours until the meat is falling apart.
- Mix the chili powder with the sesame oil.
- Trim and shred the green onions.
- Heat the chili powder and sesame oil in a pan and fry the green onions with the garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds, sugar, pepper and soy sauce and fry for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Lift out the meat, drain well and toss in the pan for a few minutes.
- Return the contents of the pan to the stock and bring to a boil, simmering until the soup is well flavored.