Zaalouk, or Eggplant salad, is an authentic Moroccan dish that mixes the complimenting tastes of Africa well. Delicious! This recipe serves 4.
- 1 kg eggplant
- 500 g tomatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- black olives
- preserved slice lemon
- Cook the eggplant, complete with skin, in salt water for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Cut the tomatoes however you wish.
- Add the red pepper, cumin, garlic, salt and lemon juice and cook them in the pan for about five minutes.
- When the egg plant is almost cooked, drain any excess water off and add to the tomatoes.
- Stir gently over a medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Leave the mixture to cool before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.