- 1 kg stewing beef
- 2 medium cooking onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1.5 kg spinach or Swiss chard
- 15 ml tomato purée
- 30 ml peanut butter
- 1 lemon
- 5 ml chilli powder
- Trim fat and gristle from the beef and cut into 2.5 cm chunks.
- Skin the onions and chop largish.
- Skin and chop the garlic very fine, or crush.
- Strip the stalks from the spinach and chop.
- Chop the tomatoes very fine.
- Juice the lemon.
- Put the beef in a saucepan and just cover with water.
- Add a little salt, bring up to the boil, cover and simmer for 90 minutes or.
- Until the meat is just tender.
- Separate the meat and the stock, preserving both.
- In a large pan, heat a little sunflower oil and stir fry the onions and garlic until onions start to soften.
- Add the chilli powder and the meat and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Make the beef stock up to 500 ml with a little water and add to the meat.
- Add the spinach, tomatoes, tomato puree, peanut butter, lemon juice.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir every few minutes.
- Check the seasoning and add further salt and pepper as necessary.
Vary the quantity of chilli powder to suit the palate or use chopped fresh green chillis.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.