- 1 pound zucchini
- ½ pound spinach leaves
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- ½ cup of long-grain brown rice
- 1½ cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon powdered cumin (sanoot)
- Wash, trim and grate the zucchini.
- Wash the spinach leaves and cut into thin strips.
- Bring the broth to a boil, stir in the rice, lower heat, cover and cook slowly until the rice is just tender, about 40 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan, cook the onions in the butter until wilted and golden.
- Stir in the zucchini, and cook a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the spinach, and cook stirring until the spinach is barely wilted.
- Set aside.
- When the rice is cooked, stir in the zucchini mixture, heat through, and season with salt, black pepper and cumin.
- Thin with additional broth if you wish.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.